Prof. Michel Armand, born in France and educated in France and USA, he owns a Master in inorganic, organic chemistry and physical chemistry (Paris 1968); Ph.D. in Physics (1978); and Fullbright Fellow in 1970. He has been Directeur de Recherche at Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS) since 1989; invited senior scientist at Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory (1982-1983); Professor at University of Montreal (Canada) (1995-2004) and Director of the Joint CNRS-UdM International Laboratory on Electroactive Materials (2000-2004).
Prof. Armand joined CIC energiGUNE in 2011 as part of the Scientific Committee of the Electrochemical Storage, Batteries and Supercaps area while leading the creation of the Polymer Electrolyte research group, currently at the top of European Research on Solid State Batteries.
With an h-index of 95 and over 69500 citations, Prof. Armand is acting or has acted as Editorial Board for several journals (Solid-State Ionics, Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, Synthetic Metals, J. Power Sources) and Conferences advisory committee and organization for several international conferences.
- Both Bronze and Silver Medals from C.N.R.S. (1978, 1989).
- Royal Society, Faraday Division, Medal Award (1985).
- Preis fur Umweltteknologie Saarland Länder (1988).
- Battery Division Award, The Electrochemical Society USA (1988).
- Pergamon Medal, International Society for Electrochemistry (1995).
- Volta Award ECS European Section (2000), first recipient.
- Doctor Honoris Causa from Uppsala University (2006).
- Galileo Award for polymer electrolytes research (2010).
- International Senior Researcher, Chinese Academy of Sciences (2011).
- Aymé Poirson Prize, French Academy of Sciences (2012).
- Catalan - Sabatier Real Sociedad Española de Química Prize (2012).
- Doctor Honoris Causa University from Deakin University (2016).
- Recognition as the most important researcher in Spain in the field of energy, according to the list of the top 100,000 scientists in the world published by Stanford University (2019).
- Highly Cited Researchers. Clarivate Rank 2019.
- JES Focus Issue on Challenges in Novel Electrolytes, Organic Materials, and Innovative Chemistries for Batteries in Honor of Michel Armand, the Electrochemical Society, (2020).
- Highly Cited Researchers. Clarivate Rank 2020.